When you have about 4 acres of pastureland, what do you do? Fence it in for that future horse, of course! And what a start for our journey to farm-dom.
When surveying our property, we had intended to fence in the entire parcel. The cost, however, was pricey at this time so we opted to fence in about an acre for our first horse pasture.
After getting a few (far above what we were thinking) quotes, we pulled up our britches and said, ‘Hey we can do this ourselves!’
In several trips to Blain’s Farm and Fleet and Menards’, we acquired 15- 9′ corner posts 8″ diameter, 35- 8′ posts 4.5″ diameter, and 34- 6’6″ metal T-posts.
We rented a post driver and a skid steer with a bucket that came in handy to move a burn pile that was composed mostly of roofing shingles.
We only had the heavy equipment for the weekend so getting all the posts in was the priority. Our neighbors had a Saturday morning wake up call to the sound of pounding posts. Ear protection is a must, for both driver and helpers!
Once we had measured where all the posts needed to be the post driving actually went quickly, first all four corners and fence gates, then the middle posts.
We used nylon mason line to rope around the posts making sure we were putting our fence up in a straight line.
This picture is of a broken post, and the post we set next to it.
We bought 5 spools of high tension coated wire 1320′ each of electric and non electric wire.
I recommend that if you are doing any kind of wire stretching with cable wiring that you purchase a wire de-reeler/spinning jenny. We didn’t buy this at first, and we had a lot of issues getting the wire uncoiled efficiently.
This is a spinning jenny- you put the spool of wire on and spin it off.
We started out with just 5 wires 12″ apart, two hot (electric) and three cold. We have added two lines of electric Polywire at 6″ and 18″ since deciding to purchase two meat goats before we purchase a horse. Springs were required to install the Polywire so we used the old springs from our broken washing machine!
These new lines will come in handy because this one gate is over a dip in the ground.
Stretching all that wire was definitely what took the most amount of time, weather permitting.
The last thing we have to do is get new hardware to transfer the 6′ gate from the pig pen to the horse/goat pen. Then we will be ready for our boys to arrive in June!